No Personal Account Required To Have A Facebook Page: How To
For those of you who have struggled to have a personal presence on Facebook that you didn’t want just so you could have the business page you do want, there is a feature being discovered on Facebook as of a few weeks ago that you will love (and thanks to ReadWriteWeb for pointing it out). That feature is the ability to have a Facebook business or place page without attaching it to a personal profile. Fabulous news, right!?
There are a number of ways to achieve this that do not require nuking the personal and business profiles you have, which you can read at RWW. However, if you are a small to medium business who just wants a clean slate, fresh start reboot who has under 50 fans, here are the steps for you:
First, delete your business page now (make sure you have copies of the photos, etc you have on there – you will need to put these back up again). Please note: if you like your vanity URL on Facebook, stop now. Once you lose it you can’t get it back. To keep it you’ll need to go through the more complex process detailed on RWW. If you don’t care or have no idea what I’m talking about, proceed.
Second, delete your personal page (I am assuming you still don’t want to have a personal page in the first place, if that has changed, there are many more steps needed to make this change happen, so please stop right here and ask for help in the comments or visit RWW for more detail).
You are now not a Facebook user and your business does not have a page, enabling you to start from a clean slate and take advantage of this new feature.
To continue, you will need an email address that you have not used on Facebook before. Once you have that ready, do these steps:
1) Go to this link http://www.facebook.com/pages/create.php
2) Click the option for “Local Business or Place”
3) Choose the category that reflects what your business does the best – for some there is no exact match, so pick something close to it
4) Enter your business name, location, and phone number (this is key if you want to use features like “Facebook Place” or “Facebook Deals”
5) Click to select “I agree to Facebook Pages Terms” and then click to select “Get Started”
6) You’ll be taken to another screen. Choose “I do not have a Facebook account” and enter your email address (use one you’ve never used on Facebook before!). Pick a password, enter your D.O.B. and enter the captcha code. Then click “Sign Up Now!”
7) You’ll get an email from a @facebook.com address asking you to verify your account. Once you verify it, you are up and running on Facebook for Business with no personal account
8 ) Optimize your page for search engines
9) Re-add your content if you had a prior page you nuked, add new content to populate the page if you are starting from scratch. (Content is stuff like photos, wall posts, Notes, etc)
10) Go to your Twitter, your Email Newlsetter and your Blog and alert people to the new page, and ask for “Likes”
11) Once you get 25 Likes, name your page – choose wisely: Facebook has become ever more strict on not allowing users to change URLs unless there is a direct trademark violation
12) To name your page, go to http://facebook.com/username
13) To make your new page wall updates post out to your Twitter account, go to http://facebook.com/twitter
14) Happy Facebooking!
See more Business tips from Facebook on their new Facebook for Business help page